Edward L. Bleynat, Jr. began his legal career by clerking for James G. Exum, Jr., then the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of North Carolina. He later went to work with a major Greensboro law firm in a general litigation practice, focusing on business litigation and tort law.
In 1995, Ed, his wife and children relocated to Asheville, North Carolina to continue his law practice and to raise their family in Western North Carolina, where Ed grew up. After Ed started his own firm in 1997, he and Joe Ferikes merged their practices into Ferikes & Bleynat, PLLC in 2001.
Ed is actively involved in a variety of church, civic and community activities as a director, a trustee or a volunteer. He is an AV Preeminent Peer Reviewed Lawyer by Martindale Hubbell.
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Major Personal Injury
- Real Estate Litigation
- Construction Matters
- Contract Law
- Law Clerk to Hon. James G. Exum Jr., Chief Justice, Supreme Court of North Carolina, 1989–1991
- Born in Lexington Park, Maryland
- Married to law school classmate, the former Anne Freels, since 1990; Father of Web, Elizabeth, and Luke Bleynat.
- Author of two volumes (to date) on the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke: The Synoptic Gospels, a Journey into the Kingdom: Volume I, From Bethlehem to the River Jordan; The Synoptic Gospels, a Journey into the Kingdom: Volume II, From The Desert to the Mount
- Ed’s lifelong interests include team sports, especially basketball; reading the great books; and enjoying the art of conversation
- Ed grew up in Valdese, looking up from his family’s Burke County yard at the Blue Ridge Mountains. Anne grew up atop Walden’s Ridge in Signal Mountain, Tennessee. They wanted to raise their family in the Southern Appalachian Highlands, and settled on eclectic, embracing and fascinating Asheville.
- J.D., with honors, University of North Carolina, 1989
- B.S., magna cum laude, Clemson University, 1986
- Lawyer Representative and Captain, Sawbones v. Jawbones, Doctor-Lawyer basketball fundraiser for Western Carolina Medical Society and Pisgah Legal Services
- Member, National Moot Court Competition and Holderness Moot Court Bench, 1988–1989
- Mountain Area Volunteer Lawyer serving clients through Pisgah Legal Services since 1995
- Past President, Board Chair, and Board Member, Lake Logan Episcopal Center
- Past Chair and Board member of the Trustees of the Episcopal Diocese of Western North Carolina
- Past Chair of the Discernment Committee, Trinity Episcopal Church, Asheville
- Past Senior Warden, Vestry member, and Capital Campaign member Trinity Episcopal Church, Asheville
- Past member, Bishop Search Committee, Episcopal Diocese of Western North Carolina
- Past Board Member and Secretary, Carolina Day School, Asheville
- Past Middle School Basketball Coach, Carolina Day School, Asheville
- Past YMCA Basketball Coach
- Asheville City League Basketball and Volleyball
- North Carolina, 1989
- Tennessee, 1991
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The MAVL Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year Award (1998)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- 28th Judicial District Bar
- Harry C. Martin Chapter of the American Inns of Court
- Price and Price Mechanical of N.C., Inc. v. Miken Corp., 191 N.C. App. 177, 661 S.E.2d 775, 2008.
- TD Bank, N.A. v. Mirabella, ___N.C. App. ___, 725 S.E.2d 29, 2012.
- Douglas v. McVicker, 150 N.C. App. 705, 564 S.E.2d 622, 2002.
- Synovus Bank v. Karp, 887 F.Supp.2d 677, W.D.N.C. 2012.
- Murphy v. Glafenhein, 110 N.C. App. 830, 431 S.E.2d 241, 1993.
- Hopkins v. Ciba-Geigy Corp., 111 N.C. App. 179, 432 S.E.2d 142, 1993.
- Mickles vs. Duke Power Company, 342 N.C. 103, 463 S.E.2d 206, 1995.
- G.P. Publications, Inc. vs. Quebecor Printing-St. Paul, Inc., 125 N.C. App. 424, 481 S.E.2d 674, 1997.